Friday, May 18, 2012

Suqqu L brush +

For a much awaited review on what I got in the mail seen here...I got some pretty makeup brushes that I've tested for a bit. The most common questions I get among my readers is about brushes, believe it or not. How does "x" brush compare to "z" brush. I don't even own that many brushes (I think...). 

a bit of a back story:  
My brush stash has definitely evolved over a span of 14 years. My first brush being an Estee Lauder lip brush (which was amazing, I wish a brand would make an exact replica of it). Then of course I got into MAC brushes, then weened out of those when I discovered Shu Uemura, and then I learned about Chikuhodo and Suqqu. Of course I've tried/tested/returned/exchanged/gifted other brands brushes along the way. Now I'm at a point where I'm almost satisfied with what I own...of course there's a few more I'd like to purchase, but those items aren't really necessary. 

So for those who think what I own is a result of like 2 years of buying...that is definitely not the case. If anything it's the items I buy the least often since I really must have the desire to buy it for a long time before I consider purchasing it. 

i'd like to thank the awesome individual(s) that help me getting Suqqu on a semi consistent basis. you know who you are. seriously, it warms my heart to know that there are people who go out of their way to help me. :)

right...back to my Suqqu L brush...

Hair: I honestly don't know. The Suqqu site doesn't state the hairs used, but it feels like my grey squirrel brush (Chikuhodo). It could be blue squirrel for all I know. Considering Chikuhodo manufactures Suqqu brushes, and they use grey squirrel hair...my guess is grey squirrel.  

Ferrule and handle: it's black, short, and on the thin side. It's not as thin as Shu brushes, but they're not as thick as the Chikuhodo Z series brushes. Some people may be surprised at how "short" the brush is, as I was when I got my Chikuhodo brushes. I'm used to longer handles since I've used Shu brushes for a long time. I didn't know what to think about shorter brushes, but I actually love them after using them for a while. The benefit is that they're easier to carry in a bag for traveling. The ferrule is black, which gives is a sleek, minimalistic look. You know me, I'm all about the minimalist aesthetic.

Application: It's a blending brush, so the hairs are long and the only brush I have that's similar in primary function is the MAC 224. For blending I do use my Shu 10, but the 10's primary purpose isn't blending, but rather a laydown brush for powder, cream, and liquid eye products. I've tried the L brush with powders and the effect is so seamless. Even when I overapply a certain shade, this brush definitely blends it out to the desired effect I like. Not to mention how insanely soft it feels when the hairs touch my eyes, definitely not scratchy feeling at all. I'm seriously thrilled to own this brush. It's a staple in my brush stash now since I have a brush just for blending. It's truly worth owning if you ask me.

Something to keep in mind when it comes to high quality brushes is that you don't experience hairs falling out in masses, or losing their shape after washing them. I'll let the photos speak for themselves.

The one small caveat is that it doesn't work well with my Armani Eyes to Kill Intense eyeshadows, as in blending two ETKI shades together, the L brush doesn't blend it as nicely as I'd like. It's definitely unfair to judge the L brush with those eyeshadows, especially since the ETKI aren't the typical powder formula. I'd figure it's of mention to those who were wondering how it works with the non-standard powder formula. For the ETKI, I now know to stick with my Shu Natural 10. 

Another thing to keep in mind is that due to the size of the brush, it may be too large for those with small lid space, or just small eyes in general. Due to the long hairs and density, if you think the hairs of the MAC 224 are too long, then you may find the L brush a bit too big too. Check out the comparison photos to see for yourself. 

Price: £48 (not including shipping), which is about $76. It's sold at Selfridges (a department store in the UK). To those who do choose to buy online elsewhere, ichibankao has them too, but the prices are a lot higher (as a FYI). 

Worth having?: YES. I didn't know how I lived without this brush. It's full of awesome! 

Onto the photos:


L to R: Shu 10, Shu 11, Shu 8HR, Suqqu L, MAC 224
L to R: Shu 10, Shu 11, Shu 8HR, Suqqu L, MAC 224
L to R: Chikuhodo Z5, Suqqu L


L to R: Suqqu L, MAC 224  [ sorry for having semi dirty brushes D; ]

L to R: Suqqu L (side pic, see how flat it is on its side?), MAC 224

4 comments:

  1. I keep hearing raves about how soft the Suqqu brushes are! I might splurge at some point...

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks and sounds beautiful! I found the comparison to the 224 very useful. I do like the 224 for blending, very much but I do still wonder if the Suqqu L might be too big for me. I will definitely be asking to take a look at it next time I'm in Selfridges. Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. tasty tasty. how do you use your brush M?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Musing: yes! Definitely worth splurging on, at least a couple of them.

    Modesty: it's a bit big, but the advantage that the L has is that it's flat on its side. I like it a lot, but of course you should check it out for yourself before buying. You know what works best for your eyes.

    Anonymous: I'm still experimenting and it will be a future review.

    ReplyDelete